Sunday, November 14, 2010

[Magnificat, Magnificat]

Here is the article I wrote for the December Congregationalist. (If you feel the need to read the scripture referenced, you can find it here.)
.
Well, Thanksgiving is in a couple weeks and here I am writing for the December newsletter already. It's hard to get in the Christmas spirit when a) it's November, b) it's 85 Degrees outside and c) I'm so far removed from anything related to the holidays. With that said, however, here I am to deliver yet again another article of some sort for your reading pleasure. I decided that instead of writing a narrative about my life I would rewrite Mary's Song of Praise. In Luke chapter 1, Mary has gone off to Elizabeth's house to seek refuge and get away from Nazareth for a few months after finding out she was pregnant. When Elizabeth greets Mary with praise saying, "Blessed are you among women and blessed is the fruit of your womb," Mary responds in a joyous song. Known as the "Magnificat," Mary sings her praises to God as an act of faith and proclaims the greatness of God. As I read over these verses I felt a deep connection with Mary. (And to be honest, quite possibly my first connection with Mary... ever.) Her desire to praise God is one for which I long and one that I admire. I found in her words praise for the work that I am doing at My Friend's Place, praise for God's work in my life, and praise for God's people. What song of praise do you have to lift to God in this hol(y)day season?

Emily's Song of Praise
My soul reaches out to God and praises God with great magnitude;
my spirit dances to the abstract rhythm of the Holy Spirit,
for God has embraced the loneliest of the lonely.
God, my life-source, has blessed me from the beginning with
experiences, people, and places.
Praise be to the Divine for all things bright and beautiful.
God has shown mercy to those who stand in awe of Her goodness.
God has shown me care and compassion through case workers
and direct service counselors.
She has looked down on all her people with concern.
God has knocked me off my high horse and given me insight
into the lives of these youth who are beautiful and unique.
God has used me to nourish the hungry stomachs of Her children with food
and their souls with hope.
God has helped me remember my heritage and history as a Christ-follower,
and as a member of the United Church of Christ;
a history that calls me to do justice, love kindness and walk humbly with My God.
God promised a full life here and in the next
and for that I give thanks, for God's grace has showered me
and will continue to drench her people forever.
Praise be to the one whose birth we await,
Emmanuel, God with us.

And now for something completely different: I will miss you all this Christmas. Homelessness doesn't stop for the holiday season, so I must remain here in LA. Send traveling mercies with my family as they come to visit in December and know that I am thinking of you and praying for you all as the busyness of the holidays approach. Safe travels in all that snow and good luck bearing the frigid weather!

Peace, love, and all things good,
Emily
.
You can listen to the Taize song, "Magnificat," here.
"Magnificat anima mea Dominum."
My soul doth magnify the Lord.

1 comment:

allyvertigan said...

as always, love.
i was waiting for the taize song <3