Friday, December 10, 2010

[January]

Here's my January Congregationalist Article!
--------------------------------

“Behold, for I bring you good news of great joy!” And no, I’m not talking about Jesus. The great news I bring you, in case you have not heard, is that a few weeks ago I was accepted to the Masters of Divinity program at the Pacific School of Religion in Berkeley, CA. The wait is finally over!! I can suspect that my feelings of relief and certainty that have come from finally deciding on a school (and being accepted for that matter) are similar to what everyone was feeling when Jesus was born. You know? I mean, all this anticipation and build up for Jesus’ birth and finally when he arrived, angels were singing Gloria’s, Shepherds were praising God, and Mary had made it through the birthing process. (I’m sure she was more relieved than anyone!!) As for me, my three year process of researching and visiting schools has come to an end and let me tell you, I have been listening to the Hallelujah Chorus, as played by Mannheim Steamroller, over and over. (Check out my blog for a cool video of it!)

I visited PSR in October for a prospective student weekend called the “Ministry As Vocation Conference.” After that weekend I knew, without a doubt, that God was calling me to PSR. I met some incredible students and wonderful faculty, experienced the campus life as well as their worship services, and at the end of the day, I loved it. Over the past three years I have been searching for a seminary that gave me the warm fuzzies but instead (and even better) I found the first seminary that made me feel at home. Their classes are interesting, their community life is strong, their spirituality is evident in all things, and they strive for peace and justice at every turn. The campus is gorgeous and they are located on “Holy Hill” in Berkeley which has beautiful views of the Bay Area.

It’s no Baby Jesus but it is certainly exciting news in my world. Thank you all for your support through this long process. I am surrounded by “so great a cloud of witnesses” and for that, I praise God. For more of my thoughts on PSR, check out my blog. For more info on PSR, visit their website www.psr.edu. If you have questions for me, do not hesitate to call/email. You have my information!

Peace, love and all things good,

Emily

1 comment:

Careen said...

i just found your blog!

congrats girl! i think i said it in person already but this is so awesome! and i know you will be amazing there!

ps it's colleen alias careen (well kinda blew that)