Wednesday, April 6, 2011

[sacrifice?]

"Let us ask God to make us true in our love, to make us sacrificial beings, for it seems to me that sacrifice is only love put into action." --Elizabeth of the Trinity
.
And I can't help but ask... Jesus said in Matthew 9:13: "I desire mercy not sacrifice."
.
I struggle with sacrifice a lot... that is, figuring out how to be empathetic and stand in solidarity when you're not considered one of the least of these. To me the question is always: How far am I supposed to take this? How much sacrifice am I really supposed to participate in?
.
Of course, when it comes to Jesus' words, I always feel as though literal action/interpretation is necessary. But is it? Particularly as I am placed in this current context of being a Protestant in a very Catholic organization... (and, while seemingly liberal Catholics, still very much about the sacrifice of Christ and therefore the sacrifice of our personal bodies/minds/spirits).
.
So I don't know what to do with it. I was told the other day: "Jesus died on the cross so we don't have to." Ok, thats mercy..not... sacrifice. That makes sense.
.
Is mercy sacrifice in itself? One definition of mercy is "the feeling that motivates compassion." So because i am a person of faith, i am merciful and because I feel mercy, I become compassionate... but someone can be compassionate without taking action, right? So is that where sacrifice comes in? We sacrifice of ourselves because we are compassionate? Last time I checked compassion was an "awareness" type of feeling.
.
This is really disjointed and it feels like a chicken/egg/who came first conversation.
.
I invite your thoughts..... please.

2 comments:

Jes said...

Emily,
Questions are an integral part of my life blood.
I do not have responses at this time
but instead,
perhaps space to wonder with you.

Sacrifice is a loaded term,
layered with old religious baggage.
As a woman I am cautious of it.
As a woman who moves to service in integration, I am even more cautious of it.
because sometimes sacrifice is not something
I chose.
Cautious does not mean rejection.
Cautious does not mean disagreement.
Cautious instead means trying to find truth
in honoring myself
and honoring the community.
Somehow, in between, there is a sacrifice made.

So what is the sacrifice for? Why must one sacrifice?
Perhaps to remember the world does not revolve around me
and yet
i am apart
of the world.
Ubuntu, as they say in South Africa.

First thoughts and wonderings.

love.
Jes

Jes said...

apart is supposed to be "a part" big difference :)