Sunday, October 4, 2009

+comfort+

I dont know if anyone reads this anymore, but i have just a few thoughts.

I went to church this morning empty handed and came back with a purse full of literature.

Bethel UCC in Elmhurst is the most welcoming, loving, beautiful church i know. I would say this about FCCBC but I don't know what it's like to be a stranger there. I love this church. I always have. I would have done my internship with them, but I had a thing against going to a church that had JUST had an intern (the previous semester).

ANYWAY back to my story.. I get there and I always feel so welcome. Several people greet me, and not just with "hi" but with questions and the like. I met at least 5 new people today and it was fabulous. They invited me to stay for fellowship hour and to come again and to attend various events. It was such a fabulous environment. Not to mention their sanctuary is modern and simple and gorgeous.

Their pastor is able to be in a conversation kind of mode while he preaches as he stands behind the podium but leans forward to rest his arm on it.

I don't know how to describe this... maybe you too have experienced it... but its so much more comfortable than the other two church in town, even though I interned at one. (And not to say I don't like them, I just like going somewhere where I know I will be welcomed and talked to.)


I suppose that's all... A place to call home. I think I'm going to start attending there fairly regularly... but there are still a few churches in the area I would like to explore too, so we'll see how things go. Bethel has a "contemporary" service the second sunday of the month.. i should check it out... I wonder what they consider contemporary...

Oh and did I mention they're the only ONA church in Elmhurst? Superb...



This is their sanctuary at Christmas...

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I read it! And I'm happy for you. I have found a similar story at St. John's.