Monday, January 3, 2011

[feelings and realizations]

This gut-wrenching feeling.
It's been around for three weeks.
Homesickness?
That's what I named it.
I convinced myself thats what it was.
Living into that pain.
I realized.
That's not what it is.
I miss church.
I miss familiarity.
I miss family.
But not like that.
This is something deeper.
Some deep longing whose grief went unmatched.
Until it hit me.
Like a ton of bricks.
It's not the longing for physical places and people.
It's the realization of fulfillment.
Or should I say, a lack thereof.
A lack of satisfaction.
A lack of pleased emotions.
I don't come home satisfied.
I struggle
and I will continue to struggle.
For at least I've recognized it.
At least I paid attention enough to know,
with God's help,
that my deep gladness
is not meeting the world's deep
need.
The world has so many needs
and I'm meeting one
but I am not dwelling
or rather, working
where my gladness lies.
And I always say,
"But that's where we learn:
in the midst of discomfort,
that's when we grow."
I am uncomfortable and just
maybe
I'm not stretching enough.
But I know
with deep dwelling conviction
that my heart
and my passion
and my soul
lay in the depths of people
and of ministry.
But here I am...
in the midst of people
doing real life ministry.
Perhaps Buechner meant
"The many places
God calls you to
will meet the worlds deep need
but only so far as you
are willing to broaden your
idea of what brings you
joy."
I love my work and especially
the youth.
And one day I will be at the
crossroads
where my deep gladness
meets the world's deep
need.
But until then, I will
love the time
enjoy the journey
learn as I go.
It doesn't get any more
holy
than that.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you my friend. Hoping you find a sense of peace. I miss you.

John Vertigan said...

good reflection. one of your learnings might be a clarifying of where your deep gladness lies. You'll do better ministry because of it. Prayers about for your cold home that it may be blessed with a warm Spirit.