Tuesday, January 25, 2011

[harsh words]

And I quote: "So what?! I get put in jail for two or three days. That's life, baby!"
.

Two of our clients in a relationship got in a bit of a spat today and wound up yelling at each other for a while. In the midst of the conversation this sentence came out of her mouth... and now, several hours later, I don't remember at all what the context was when she said this. This is the life my kids lead... They are in and out of jail... mostly for fare evasion... They just want to get around town and because they don't have the money to do so, they wind up getting caught by the police, getting ticketed, then receiving warrants, which they avoid... therefore winding up in jail. And to them, it's become part of everyday life. The thought of going to jail petrifies me. Yet these kids deal with it so often. I don't have any thoughtful response on this other than "it sucks." And I wish I could make it better and easier.
===============
And I quote: "I'm a heroine addict and when i was shooting up last night i missed so now my arm is really swollen and it hurts."
.
I've never actually heard someone say that they are a heroine addict. It really hit me. I don't know why. I don't know what nerve it struck. But wow. To actually hear someone say it makes it so real. It IS real. And that scares me.

1 comment:

allyvertigan said...

I think you said something that helps me understand your fear. You said "my kids". You have let the people with whom you work into your life, your heart, your spirit. That won't go away. While you express fear, you also express courage and love. Love that also reflects the One who loves you. I am so proud of you.