Wednesday, February 9, 2011

[space and darkness]

Here is my March Congregationalist article in a little more detail.
....
When I was brainstorming about what I was going to write for all of you at first I thought maybe something not so serious was in order. Month after month I'm reflecting on hard situations at work or deep issues that are rooted in societal corruption or Biblically based concepts that show their worth in my work. And who wants to read any of that?
.
Just kidding. This month is something a little different than the several months that have passed, but it has it's own deep questions that go along with it. Let me start with what may seem a little bit off the beaten path.
.
As I write I am reflecting on yesterday. Yesterday I woke up, walked downstairs to the living room. I grabbed a match, lit a few candles and brought them to the bathroom with me. I did my usual routine: brushed my teeth, washed my face, took a shower and got dressed. Then I pulled my hair up in a bun, put on a headband, blew out the candles and went to the kitchen. There I poured a bowl of cereal, sat down at the table and ate my breakfast (for those of you keeping notes: a banana cut up on frosted flakes with a glass of OJ). I proceeded upstairs where I grabbed my Joyce Rupp book, got back under the covers and read for about fifteen minutes. I realized it was 8:14 and I needed to leave for work. I grabbed my bookbag and headed out the door, down Irolo, then seven blocks down Olympic. As I'm walking down Olympic I see three buses pass my stop. It was then I realized, I'm going to be late. The bus finally came and it continued down its usual route: Western to Hollywood, stopping every few blocks. I got off at Hollywood and Western and walked the last five blocks to work.
.
For any of you keeping tabs on my Facebook or my blog, you know that my community has now deemed Tuesdays as "No Tech Tuesdays." We refrain from using our computers, phone, lights, and other electronics on Tuesdays from now to August. On February 3rd I wrote a blog entry that had to do with, well, a lot of things. But I also listed the re-commitments our community made. We found ourselves at a place of complacency and ease. JVC wasn't as hard as we thought it would be. However, in discussing our lack of challenges as a house, we decided that we are going to get out of JVC what we put in... and quite frankly, together, we weren't putting in much.
.
With that said, I learned several things on our first Tuesday. First I realized that time doesn't stop for anyone, especially not someone without a phone. Because I didn't have my cell phone to see what time it was, I didn't pay attention to whether or not I was late to work. And better yet, I didn't worry about it. I understand that cell phones have become somewhat a necessity in our lives, particularly for emergencies. But when I'm walking and not listening to my iPod or texting with my Mom, I come to realize my surroundings more fully. I was taking it all in. And at the end of the journey, fortunately, I was only 10 minutes late to work. Also, when you don't have lights or TV or the Nintendo on, it creates space for fruitful silence and organic conversation. Seriously, how often have you just sat in the presence of your loved ones by candlelight... and it wasn't because a storm took out your power? Similarly, when it's dark everything seems still. With lights and electronics on, the space seems "busy." But when I was getting ready in the dark, it felt still. It felt serene. It was nice to not blow-dry and straighten my hair for once. Everything seemed peaceful. Lastly, helps you focus on the important things. I got to read in the morning instead of mindlessly stare at my computer for 15 minutes. I prayed on my way to work. I spent some quality time with my community. I read a book at lunch.
.
Taking away these distractions is unbelievably liberating.
.
Before I end, let's clarify something: I totally understand the wonderful uses of technology and electricity. (Duh.) However, I think that when we consume less and engage more, we experience something greater, something beyond ourselves. Try it... and let me know how it goes.
Peace, love and all things good.

1 comment:

allyvertigan said...

every day there are more and more reasons to be proud of you.