Sunday, September 11, 2011

.Transitions and facelifts.

First of all... if you are reading this you realize that my blog got a total facelift! This is true. Each time I have transitioned into something new, I give it a new look to recognize this transition. I even re-name it appropriately. 


Today I changed things. It is a simpler look and has the name "own the mystery..." I came across that phrase a while ago and loved it immediately. I think it screams volumes about the kind of Christian (and student) I am called to be in this world.  Divine Mystery is often used against people and places.  There's an ambiguous nature to the love of God... we don't know where *exactly* it comes from and we have a hard time feeling it sometimes, but it is there. And we tend to believe it anyway. People who grapple with this mystery and ask serious questions about it are, I find, more often than not Prophetic. 


When you own something, you claim it. You acknowledge that something is true. And Mystery is Truth to me. I think that without it, faith would be pretty boring and straightforward. And who wants to believe in something about which there are no questions to be asked? This is why I am in seminary. 


I have officially started my Masters of Divinity program at the Pacific School of Religion in Berkeley, CA. I have begun to read about and ask critical questions regarding the Bible and spirituality. And this is just the beginning. So much will unfold over the next three years and I don't know what it's going to look like... another kind of Mystery, I believe. 


I realized the other day that I am at the end of my plans. I set out for four years of undergrad (and all that it entails), a year of intentional volunteer work, and then the start of seminary. Well, here I am... starting seminary. I have no other plans for my life. And I like it that way. I have eased up and found myself relishing in those moments when "going with the flow" is the only thing I need to do. 


So here we go... three years and a whole lot of Mystery to uncover... let's do this. 

No comments: