Sunday, January 20, 2008

helping hands

So, yesterday we were walking around the mall and we had just passed the juniors section (shopping for my sister, of course) where they had music videos playing on good sized plasma tv's attatched from the ceiling. Some kid was with his parents and loooked up and said, "what size tv's are those? 22 in?" And his mother said, "No, they measure them diagonally, but either way that isn't big enough."

I've heard this before. We have a gigantuan tv in my house. It had to fill a space that was just right. In case the family was "filling a space" I can see where this wouldn't be a big deal specifically.

HOWEVER

I have a problem with materialism. I'm sure I suffer from this on occasion as well, but after growing up with it in my family, it is hard for me to be an advocate FOR it. There are people in this world that just think material possesions is all we have to work for. If we don't have hte latest greatest iPod, computer, boat, phone, house, car, then what's the point? I'll tell you what the point is... friends, family, love, joy, God, I could go on forever.

I just don't like the idea of getting things because we can. That's fine if you have the money. But there are people in this world with nothing. People who were born into poverty with no way of getting out. Children whose parent's were drug dealers and crackheads who abused or just didn't pay attention to them.

These kids are our future. If we have kids who can't get healthy because their parents were born into poverty, or kids who can't go to school because no one will take them or can take them. What is our world going to be? Kids need all the help, support and love they can get in order to survive now. And in the future.

We need to take the money we use on the less important things and use it/ put it to use where it is needed. Investing in charity, benefits, organizations, causes; working with groups and companies that help with these sorts of things.

What would life be like if money was used for good?

Imagine a better world...

No comments: