Thursday, February 14, 2008

Couple things...

First, let me just say "PRAISE GOD!" God is so amazing, good, and faithful.

I have a friend who has lost her father, cousin, and uncle (within two months of each other) and then some. Her boyfriend lost his mother in 8th grade (same time the my friend lost her dad).

Not too long ago, in the same week, i found out her aunt had esophogeal (sp?) cancer, and her boyfriend's dad had prostate cancer.

First words in my mind were, "Well shit, she cannot lose another relative and he certainly can't lose both parents. This sucks. What the hell am i supposed to say..."

So I prayed. I prayed everytime I thought about them. I hate seeing people lose loved ones. It pains me to see that. I continuously prayed for their healing, recovery, life, loved ones.

"He can't lose his only other parent. She can't lose another relative. Please God."

Last weekend she went home to see her mom and to drive to Indy to see her aunt in the hospital because she wasn't doing too well.

I was informed today that her aunt is going really well. She was able to drink liquids other than water today and in a few weeks will be able to eat. (Assuming, Praying, and Hoping all goes well until then.) I then asked about her boyfriends dad. He is doing really well. Cancer-free and doing well.

God is so faithful to us, and so good. I used to think it took big events for me to finally realize God's love for us. I love it. Sometimes I really question my faith, but I love experiences like these when you realize that God is really there. here. around. all over.

And now for something completely different...
Reality Check...

I don't know that I've ever had a reality check like this...

We were in Ministry class today and were talking about helping the poor and homeless. Do you give money when you walk by someone on the street holding out a cup? Do you say, "Do you have Jesus Christ your Lord and Savior in your heart? Here, let me help you." ? What action do you take? Rather, think about what action you SHOULD take...

I shared an experience in class where I gave popcorn to a man on the street (rather than money because who knows if he would use it for drugs or alcohol) and said that he wasn't very grateful (or at least he didn't sound like it).

Then Dr. B said to me... "We have to quit being judgmental. We are all made in God's image, so what makes them any different?" I'm in line with the second half of that statement. I whole-heartedly believe that. But me? Judgmental? No way! This can't be! I always claim to be so not judgmental!

Well shit. This sucks. I can't believe I was judging people. I guess it makes sense. That is somewhat ridiculous for me to ASSUME he's going to use it for drugs/alcohol. Who am I to say that it matters what he uses it on? Sure, we'd rather have it not be either of the aformentioned entities. But really now. Dr. B said, "What if he uses it for a bottle of [insert alcohol here] which warms you? What if he's really cold in the winter and this is the only thing he can afford that will warm him inside to keep warm overnight?" Ok, so it's still not helping his alcohol thing (ASSuming he has one).... but. ok. I can see that. I'm convinced.

I decided that everytime I give money to someone, I'll pray that they use it in whatever way best helps them. No matter what it is. God's faithful right? I already figured that one out. Surely God will do what He/She/It can to help this person.

I fully believe that. What is this revival of faith suddenly? In the midst of uncertainties, issues with my self-[insert whatever here], among other things... I'm still believing this.

It brings tears of joy and a smile to my face. I'm content. Thank God. Praise God from whom all blessings flow.

Shalom.




Hopefully this quote hits, lands upon, rests, runs into you....

"We can be realistic about what we face because that's exactly where God's love finds us, restoring hope and confidence when all seemed lost."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

basically... prayer is SO powerful and God is SO good! I'm glad that you're coming to realize his love more and more :)

second.. I used to think the same thing.. about giving money to them. I would offer to buy them coffee or something, because I didn't want to think about what they were spending it on. But your prof hit the nail on the head-- we can't judge what others are going to do. God can work through any act of service, and I believe that he is speaking into the lives of those without hope, living on the streets. It's through the kindness we show, the concern, and the LOVE for these people. Sometimes, it isn't even about the money. It's about the compassion we have on them and ACTUALLY showing we care. Not always just tossing money in as we walk by, but talking with them and asking their name. getting to know THEM because they are in God's image and God loves them, why should we feel to good to talk to them? are they unworthy? flip no! circumstances come... sure sometimes they have made mistakes in the past--God forgives. Maybe they've had addictions (or still do), maybe they've been in prison, maybe they're family left them, maybe they left their family--God still forgives. God doesn't judge on past events (well.. you know) GOD FORGIVES AND DOESN'T JUDGE so what right does that give us?

I'm SO glad that you're seeing these things and God is revealing himself to you through all the crap in your life. It really is an amazing thing the Lord has done in showing us love that we may live this life in full honor of him :)

I heart you~