Thursday, August 19, 2010

[life editing]

"Under constant revision is the poem that I be..." [Blue Scholars]

Here I am. under constant revision. Not the kind where you erase whatever's been written, but the kind of revision to which you add new and wonderful things. Life is constantly new and wonderful.

and under revision.
.
"Writing what it is into what it ought to be..." Revision for me has always been a chore. Something that takes a lot more time to think about and work on than the original piece... whether that be poetry or a story or (heaven forbid) my history thesis. It was always a hassle. And I think that's mostly because it meant that the first time around wasn't good enough. I hate not being good enough.
.
But now I've realized, thanks to the Blue Scholars and I guess props to God too, that it's never been about "not being good enough." It isn't even about improving. It's about building. Building upon. Building blocks. Building something new. Treading a different road. Having new experiences. Taking chances. Living life.
.
That's what I did in Pittsburgh. That's what I did at Cornerstone. That's what I did in Guatemala. That's what I did in New Zealand.
.
And that's what I'm doing here in LA.
.
I'm giving myself more to work from. I'm learning from trial and error. And as much as I may hate it, it's good. It's humbling. I've never really understood that word... "humbling".... but now I get it. And it is an incredible feeling.
.
Back to revisions. As a poem... my life is constantly being revised in the sense that I am building and adding and changing. That's what life is about. Being challenged and encouraged amid the revisions.
.
Tell me, what parts of your poem are under revision? What have you experienced? What's being built? What's changing?
.
Praise be to God for these things.

Go listen to Blue Scholars: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzDfFr-5Tbs

1 comment:

allyvertigan said...

I love to hear this perspective from you.