Friday, August 27, 2010

[living the questions]

Here is a conversation that happened just this morning between myself and our executive director at MFP:
.
heather: so, are you a coffee drinker?
emily: no. I'm not a big "hot drinks" person. I want to like tea, but I struggle with that too.
h: yea, I feel you on that.
e: And my roommates think I'm crazy because unlike some/most of them, I don't drink alcohol or coffee or smoke, so they ask me what it is I spend my money on.
h: so then what is it? Do you collect things? Do you like music?
e: Yea, I love music. But I don't know... it's not like I replace it with anything because I never started with any of it.
h: So then, what is it that makes you happy?
.
We talk about living the faith questions of life all the time, right? Making sure we're constantly asking questions of ourselves that help us become more engaged in the text and with each other. But today, I'm living a different question. What makes me happy now probably won't be the same in ten years. So I'm living with it. I'm trying to figure it out. I don't know what makes me happiest. According to my last post, it is working in the church or for the church. But is that really it? Is that really what makes me happiest?
.
So let me ask you that which Heather asked me... what is it that makes you happy?

5 comments:

GAIL :) said...

You make me happy tru!!! :D

allyvertigan said...

This is a simple question, but so complex at the same time. I'll think on it and share soon.

John Vertigan said...

what interests me is the turning of the question from 'what do you spend your money on' to 'what makes you happy' as though the former informs the latter.
it reminded me of this, though the verse seems to bolster the argument that the two are connected.
"Why do you spend your money for that which is not bread,and your labour for that which does not satisfy? Listen carefully to me, and eat what is good,and delight yourselves in rich food."
so what is the metaphorical 'rich food' that gives you delight? I like that question better than either of the originals that prompted this post.

passionatesole said...

JV- so I thought the same thing too. Since when does buying things make happiness. thank you for being an amazing pastor and mentor and person. your questions and comments make me a better person.

Unknown said...

My loved ones.
Bodies.
Dancing.
Being outside.
Music.
Poetry.
Seeing kindness unfold before my eyes.