Wednesday, September 1, 2010

[there's more to it]

just a general note... Cali weather is great, but I walked out with a jacket on because it was chilly this morning... by the time I got to work I was sweating... wow. something to get used to, that's for sure.
.
On a more serious note... I was waiting for the subway last night and saw a woman who was yelling at the wall. It would be my guess that she was schitzophrenic but that's just an assupmtion. Either way, she was yelling at the wall to give her a belt because she didn't have one. "My pants are falling down and I need a f*cking belt! Give me a G-d Damn belt! Can't you see my pants are falling down?!" They were. They were at her knees and she was mildly exposed. I had about 30 seconds before the train was to come and I was really close to pulling off my belt and giving it to her.
.
But then I realized, it's about so much more than just a belt...
.
But if we are to do what Jesus calls us to, in that moment, perhaps it was JUST about the belt...
.
i don't know...

2 comments:

gertrude said...

hmm..

John Vertigan said...

wow, there are so many walls to yell at .... so many barriers to overcome. But, like you say ... she needed a belt. That's not a systems thing or a theological conundrum .... you have a lifetime to ponder those .... for now, be the belt. Hold someone up who needs holding up and i think you'll find so many of those walls we yell at crumbling before you.
It must have seemed silly to march around Jericho every day waiting for the walls to tumble ... but they marched. Maybe it can be hard and less than earth changing to hold someone up for a moment, but it works because the moment is all we have. Be the belt! That belongs on a T-shirt. Thanks for giving me a place to ramble.