Thursday, September 9, 2010

[my neighbors]

This is the article I wrote for the October Congregationalist at FCCBC.
.
A church member commented on my Facebook status the other day asking me, “Who is the most interesting person you have met?” to which I replied, “There are quite possibly too many to count.” My organization serves approximately 90 youth a day. We hand out the necessities (socks, underwear, razors, hygiene supplies) while providing showers, opportunities for case management, a clothing closet, life skills and employment workshops, and a space to safely rest and chill. Each morning and afternoon I help with various activities including handing out food, working the clothing closet and doing a weapon check. (Was that a gasp I just heard from 2000 miles away? Fret not. This is honestly the least worrisome part of my day.)

For those of you who know the beloved speedwood band, “Lost & Found” you most likely know their song in which they sing, “Ask who your neighbor might be, you’d be surprised to see… take a chance some times.” Every day I go into work and I take chances, over and over. I am interacting with our clients each day in an attempt to help them get back on their feet. I am building relationships with the youth who have been deemed “interesting” or perhaps just filthy: transsexuals, meth addicts, avid marijuana smokers, kids high as kites, pregnant girls, alcoholics, runaways… the list goes on.

Those are the titles that everyone else gives them. Do you want to know who I really serve? The kid who was kicked out of his house because his parents found out he is gay. The developmentally delayed girl whose mom just died and her dad didn’t feel like dealing with her anymore. The family whose medical bills were so outrageous they couldn’t afford to feed their child and keep up their lease. The guy who ran away from home because his parents are drug addicts. The girl whose father abused her physically, sexually and verbally. In other words: my neighbors, the children of God. These are the people I serve. These youth are some of the brightest and strongest people I have ever met. They are creative and talented and perseverant. Those are the kids I want people to see. The ones whose lives have been ruined by trauma but whose spirits are hopeful and whose motivation is greater than their fear. Go take some chances… after all, you never know who your neighbor might be.