Tuesday, September 7, 2010

[fear, faith and dinner guests]

Sunday in church we talked about Jesus in Luke 14:7-14. Well, it was more than just about Jesus. It was about Jesus standing up for the poor, crippled, destitute, and lonely [shock, shock]. He was explaining to the Pharisees with whom he was dining saying, “Do not invite your friends or your brothers or your relatives or rich neighbors, in case they may invite you in return, and you would be repaid. But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, and the blind. And you will be blessed, because they cannot repay you, for you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous.”
.
In college we were told before every major event where trustees and board members would be in attendance to make sure we make friends with them and presented ourselves well so that we could make connections for our futures and maybe even impress them so much they donate more money. Higher Education is based upon this notion. In fact, most systems in the world today are based upon this greedy notion of reward. We’re even taught when we are little to be good so we can get more in return. However, when we do that, Jesus is asking us, “What are you doing?!”
.
Last week I got into a little tiff with a client everyone tends to deem difficult. He got an attitude with me when I was instructed to do something by our executive director that left him confused and frustrated and angry with me. However, I too was just as confused. I was not told what was going on but I did was I was told anyway and ended up arguing with our client about the current situation. I told him I would help him figure it out as soon as possible, but for now he needed to just hold on until we got the situation under control. This was my first interaction with him… therefore leaving a negative impression. The employee in me said to go back and clarify the problem with the help of the executive director. The non-confrontational person in me said to just let it blow over. And the executive director said both were possible, as long as I attempted to make the next interaction a positive one. Let’s just say I’m still waiting to make my move…
.
I could be like the Pharisees and ignore him, continuing to build rapport with the clients I enjoy talking to or the ones who seek me out consistently. I could do that.
.
Or I could take the road less traveled by… the Jesus road… the road I trod gathering the disliked and hard to deal with and sit with them.
.
Rev. Rachel this morning said, “It is fear that keeps us from being involved in what we know is right.” And she’s right. But I have overcome that fear many other times in my life. (Mostly in terms of my own discernment process and nothing yet that was life threatening or dangerous, but still.) I took a risk, stepped on the plane to New Zealand, and overcame my fear of being uncomfortable. I took a risk, applied to JVC, and moved to Los Angeles, overcoming my fear of being on my own. Rachel’s story was different than these moments, but I think the moments I have experienced build up allowing me to find and muster up courage for the struggle for justice and peace in my community and in the world.
.
Rev. Rachel insisted that we must “be nice to the people that make us want to cross the street.” We must “be nice to the people who scare us.” We must “be nice to the people… the very last people.” I must be nice and continue to attempt to build a relationship with the client I dealt with last week.
.
The other text for Sunday was Hebrews 13: 1-8, 15-16. (This passage begins with one of my new favorite phrases: “Let mutual love continue.”) In v.7 we are told, “Remember your leaders, those who spoke the word of God to you; consider the outcome of their way of life, and imitate their faith.” This is something for which I have always yearned. I have some incredible and absolutely amazing mentors in my life. And when I look at where they have been, what they have gone through and how their faith has persisted through all of that, I am in awe. I stand among and learn from some unbelievably faithful people. And I am grateful… so, so grateful to be surrounded by that. Rev. Rachel said at the close of her sermon, “And if you need faith, take some of mine… I will sit with you and talk with you and set the table with you.”
.
So take from the faith of your own mentors and leaders and friends, even. Invite the poor and the lonely and the crippled to dinner. Set the table for the people who make you nervous. And perhaps you will discover something more beautiful about God than you ever could have imagined.
.
And perhaps we’ll have fewer empty stomachs to fill too…

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

greed? I thought that was called NETWORKING! :) You are amazing. Keep up the great work.

allyvertigan said...

I love hearing your thoughts. You're one of those people, you know. The people I take faith from. Holy envy.