Sunday, August 25, 2013

hints of grace//faith

The second chapter of Uncommon Gratitude is called "Faith."

Wow, that was a boring first sentence. Let's try this again.

In one sentence, Joan Chittister implicitly explains how "Spritual but not religious" became a vocalized and seemingly legitimate thing.

In this second chapter, Chittister explores the chasm between faith and religion. She explains that in the wake of 9/11, we suddenly faced the question: "Is religion the answer or is religion the problem?" (5). Without doing their homework on Islamic extremism, some Christians quickly blamed all Muslims for this act of terror. Instead of clinging to the faith of the "one True God" of the Abrahamic faith traditions (Christianity, Islam, and Judaism), suddenly the Christian God could no longer be the Islamic God. Instead of asking questions, America(n Government) got defensive and offensive. Some cowered in fear and some got militant. "Whatever faith told us was true-- that God was love and peace, justice and human community, that we were accountable for our behavior, that there would be an eternal judgment not based on political goals but on God's will for all humanity-- religion told us was only really real for our side" (7).

I would venture to guess that this event is one point on the timeline where folks who claim "spiritual but not religious" say: Religions kill people. Denominations exclude people. I don't want to be a part of that because they have done too much harm and I don't want to be a part of it.

But as Chittister says, "The truth is that faith requires the awareness that God is and that God is holding all of us responsible for the other." Being spiritual but not religious does not give you a pass from this. Believing in God-- who is both transcendent and imminent, too big to comprehend and yet seen in the face of a kind stranger, compassionate and yet critical of our ways-- means believing that we are on God's side, not that God is on our side (6). God creates covenant with her people over... and over... and over again in scripture. That covenant is not always just about God loving us and protecting us and caring for us and looking out for us and solving our problems for us; but rather, we too must love God and look out for God's people and empower each other and hold God accountable when terrible stuff happens. Covenants are not a one-way street.

We could all use to take a minute and find the heartbeat of humanity, for I believe it is there that we find God. It is faith, not religion, that gives us the capability to find that heartbeat and to follow along.

Today I was anointed into leadership at Community Congregational Church. This is the same church I have been interning at since September of last year, but today was my pastor-mentor's last Sunday before she leaves for a three month Sabbatical. I am honored by the amount of trust she puts in me and am very thankful for the retired and current clergy folks that live in our congregation, for their hands will be of utmost importance in these coming months. I was bestowed with the permission to make mistakes. This is not only a major learning curve, but I also realized that it is a great act of faith. My position in the church (religion) calls me to specific tasks and responsibilities. But it is my faith-- my faith in God, myself, and this congregation-- that allows me to take risks beyond the tasks. Those risks may lead to great failures, in which case I will ask forgiveness, offer myself grace, and learn from them. But they may also lead to great success (which was also conferred upon me this morning).

Faith is having the ability to take the risk and know that all will be well (cf. my tattoo).

Faith is recognizing that there is a Holy One beyond me that sees my journey and both weeps and celebrates with me.

Faith is giving up the need to understand God, and finding the ability to stand with God.

Faith "is the firm foundation under everything that makes life worth living." (Heb. 11:1, MSG)



No comments: