Monday, August 19, 2013

New Blogging Series// hints of grace

So I have decided to re-enter the blogging world. And every time I come back, I give it a facelift. So here we are with a new design, colors, and layout. That being said, I have returned for good reason. My mentor-pastor is going on Sabbatical. For those of you who are new to this world of church/seminary life, that means that the pastor with whom I am interning is taking an intentional break from her role. It is common for pastors to take a sabbatical every 5-7 years. Curran will be off on Sabbatical during September, October, and November. This means that I, with the help of several retired clergy and current chaplains, will be doing pastor-y things at church. [[That word (pastor-y) lacks a lot of authority, but I have yet to figure how to say that without saying "... will be running the church," because in the United Church of Christ, the pastor does not "run the church."]]

On top of three classes and life, these three months are going to be challenging-- I have no doubts about that. This is why I've decided to get back into blogging. Though it is time consuming, it is life-giving. It is one of three practices that I am committing myself to throughout these coming months. My self-care ritual will require that I do one of three things each day: meditate/pray, read and blog, or exercise. I have also given myself permission to shift this ritual if there comes a time when it becomes less life-giving than I need it to be. However, for now, I'm sticking to it.

The first book I will be reading and blogging about is called Uncommon Gratitude by Joan Chittister, OSB and former Archbishop Rowan Williams. It's an exploration of the use and meaning of the word "alleluia."


Lastly, I'm taking suggestions. I want to have a common title for my blog posts for the next three months like I did during JVC (e.g. Finding God:...) Comment here or on facebook and give me suggestions! And then keep posted. I should be blogging at least a couple times a week.

1 comment:

SJSnowden said...

I'm proud of you and excited to see what these new practices shed light upon in the upcoming three months. I have no doubt in my mind that you will not only manage what needs to be managed but that you will grow and flourish in the process. One day at a time, my love...the road ahead is waiting for you.