Tuesday, February 24, 2009

~Finding God::2~

"This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it."

This is the day the Lord has made::
Today. Today is the day God has made. It isn't yesterday. It isn't tomorrow (well, my today is tomorrow for most of you at home :] but you know what I mean). It's today. This day was crafted by God. God knew that it would be beautiful in Hamilton, cloudy but warm; it would be cold and snowy in Billings; warmer than normal in Elmhurst; and cloudy and cold in Battle Creek. Enough with the weather... but this day has brought friends, fellowship, and fun, for some pain, strife, hunger and death. Nonetheless this day for me has consisted of sunshine and silly mistakes, looming thoughts of the school year beginning, and adventures coming up soon.

Let us rejoice and be glad in it::
One thing I have found out about people of cultures other than my own is how people respond when something bad happens in their life. In Guatemala, even when the poor of the poor are on the street or in the mountains living in conditions which seem unthinkable, they find joy. It could be the breeze of the hot afternoon, or the smile of a young child, or a small piece of food found. They are glad. They smile and laugh. When we went to houses to build stoves they gave us food. These Guatemalan people who have so much less than us were more than willing to give of that which they had so little. Here in New Zealand when you talk to the Kiwi's and Maori's you get this laid back feeling. Everything is "Sweet as." It's all good. You hear stories of things from their past that seem awful, but to them, its ok! It's all good. Today is a great day and that is what matters. In the Maori religion everything has a spirit and the spirits play a large role in their everyday lives.


This line reminds me to be thankful. thankful for this opportunity. Thankful for the chance to come to a place that is wonderfully beautiful. As one of my friends put it before I left... It gives me a chance to see another part of God's creation... a part that was almost unimaginable.

Today is Ash Wednesday. A day of remembering that we are human. We make mistakes. But that from dust we came, so to dust we will return. In my own twisted way, it also tells me to live my life to the fullest-which is important to remember while I'm here in NZed. If I'm going to return to dust, I have to do what I can while I'm in this human body. And as the lovely member of the Christian Club here at UW told me the other day... I am a glove, empty and lifeless without God, who is the hand. ----Ok, so it's good imagery, but her name is Co Co Wong and she gave me a tract... if you're curious, ask me about this story... it's humorous.

And for good measure: I'm giving up biting my nails for lent... oy vey

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

GOod luck with the nails thing...:)

I had a dream last night that I was spending the semester in Australia. I was so excited because you were in NZ!

Unknown said...

I miss you. Period.