Saturday, March 21, 2009

~Finding God::7

Today I went to St. Peter's Anglican Cathedral in downtown Hamilton. I took the 8:30 bus forgetting that it doesn't take a half hour to get there. The service starts at 9 45 so I had some time to walk around before hand. I walked around the block and wound up at Momento (a main coffee shop chain here). It was all good. These are the things I used to get frustrated over. Now I'm coming to realize I can't do anything about it, and being frustrated won't get me anywhere, so I took it as a moment to just sit and enjoy my surroundings- the wafting of coffe and tea, the construction, cars passing by and casual conversation at nearby tables. I ordered a peppermint tea and sat outside. I didn't actually drink of it for about 10 minutes because it was so hot, so after a bit I got up and walked towards church. I sat on the steps going up to the cathedral and after a couple minutes Vaughn came up and sat beside me. He currently "picks stinken apples" as he says and was just wandering around for today. Maybe it was just for today. But it could also be that he doesn't have a home and wanders between the hours of his job. He had wrinkles on his face that could tell stories. They looked like those of the Guatemalan men, full of age and time.

A few minutes into our conversation he asked, "Are you going up to the church this morning?" to which I responded, yes. He looks and me and says with a smirk, "Oh, so you're one of them?" I asked him with a laugh, "What do you mean I'm one of them?" "I don't think there's anything up there," he responded. I asked him how he knew. "I guess we'll find out when I get up there." We laughed and I said, "I figure better safe than sorry!"

We went on to talk about what I do for a living and I said I was a student... when he asked what I study I said "History and Theology.... hah... I study God." We laughed. What a picture we would have made... the two of us on the steps looking up to the Cathedral. It was wonderful.

I finished my tea and headed up the steps.

I'm living on the no regrets system while here, but I wish I would have asked him more. I think the conversation could have run so deep.

Next time...

No comments: