Tuesday, February 23, 2010

+Lent2010: Awe+

The greatest insights happen to us in moments of awe.-- Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel
.
So often the word "awesome" gets misused. I am a prime suspect, too. I always say something is "awesome" but does it really deserve it? I mean, if the greatest insights happen in moments of awe... when something is awe-worthy, it must have a major impact on someone or something.
.
I know that for me, a lot of God moments come at awe-worthy times. The dictionary defines awe as: a feeling of reverential respect mixed with fear or wonder. Fear... OR... wonder. Fear in the Bible typically means "awe." So, what does that mean for us?
.
When we come across something that is so incredible we feel God's presence... or we see an interaction between people that would otherwise seem so random.... or we see something of natural beauty which is nearly unfathomable... All of these are awe-producing. All of these, for me, are God moments. Of course God moments vary, but most recently, I was in a worship service that was so spirit filled, I knew God had to be there. It is those moments that are awesome...
.
It wasn't something someone said or did... rather, those moments when I realize something because I feel God's presence... When I realize that this person is also a child of God even though they have been neglected for so long. When I realize that life is about so much more than homework. When I realize that God is present because I can feel it.
.
What do you find awesome?

No comments: