Wednesday, February 24, 2010

+Lent2010: Faith+

One of the lectionary readings for today (courtesy of the PCUSA) is 1 Corinthians 2.1-13. Reading over it, a couple of verses seem to be really applicable today.
.
(5) ...so that your faith might rest not on human wisdom but on the power of God... (9) But, as it is written, "What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the human heart conceived, what God has prepared for those who love him" - these things God has revealed to us through the Spirit; for the Spirit searches everything, even the depths of God.
.
Today I was waiting for an email from the Jesuit Volunteer Corps giving me the three organizations with which I will interview to decide where I will be placed next year. I have been checking my email non-stop waiting for it to arrive and say Inbox(1). However, I am checking even now at 10pm to no avail. This means I have two more days to sit and wait for it. They told me it would come between Wed. and Friday. And as my facebook status said today, I was "waiting impatiently!"
.
However, the lectionary for today is a good reminder... I have no control over this. The more I think about it, the more I realize my faith in God falters a lot when it comes to these kinds of things. There's always something going on that I can't control and I fail to "surrender to God" all the time. At Cornerstone we always talked about giving something up to God... but I never really understood that to begin with. I get the concept, I don't know how to do it.
.
I want the job in Sacramento.... so bad... It's one of those things that I think is a perfect fit... but that's exactly what the scripture is telling me... "rest on the power of God!.. the Spirit searches everything." So, God knows where I'm going next year. I just have three weeks until this grand plan is revealed to me. Haha. Thinking about this gives me this visual of God sending the Holy Spirit to all these places to check them all out so it can come back to God to give a report on which would be best for me.
.
Leah said to me the other day (whenever I expressed my love for this job in Sacramento) that even if I don't get that one, wherever I go is going to be just as amazing and challenging as the others. It will be in a different way. And I reminded myself that if I don't get to go to Sacramento, I will be going wherever God wants and needs me.
.
It is not my wisdom, but Gods. It is not by my power, but by Gods. I have no idea what is in store for me over the next few years... only God knows... and God has something amazing in the works. I believe this to be true.

No comments: