Friday, February 19, 2010

+Lent2010: Home+

Martin Copenhaver, in today's Stillspeaking Devotional, talked about what home is like. He drew on Psalm 91 to help us understand what he was saying.
.
"My refuge and my fortress; my God in whom I trust."
.
Where is home for you? Is it where you grew up? Where you currently live? Home is that place where you can be yourself... where you can go for a while to be refreshed... where you feel loved and accepted.
.
But what do you do when that place is no where in reach? You can't just uproot and re-establish home... can you? In the past year I have been to New Zealand, Rome, Guatemala, Elmhurst, and Battle Creek. Home for me is in Battle Creek. I LOVE NZ and Elmhurst. I love Guatemala and Rome was nice too. But what about next year? If I get my way with JVC, I'll be in Sacramento for a year. I won't be coming home for minor holidays or a weekend off. I won't even be able to come home just for a few days to be refreshed and renewed. I do that sometimes when I can't be at school anymore... I just drive home to get away.
.
So next year I can't drive home. I will be home maybe twice during the year. How am I going to keep myself sane? Well, first I remind myself, Battle Creek won't necessarily be able to be that refuge for me forever, so I suppose I might as well get used to it.
.
BUT
.
Psalm 91 reminds us that God.... God is the constant in this equation. Even when home is filled with stress... or when home is unreachable... God is our fortress.... God is our refuge. God protects us and gives us a safe place to land. God loves us, accepts us. God refreshes and restores our souls and our very being. We can be ourselves in front of God because... God knows our innermost being. She knit us in our mother's wombs, afterall.
.
So next time I'm worried about not going home, I'm going to call on God. Jesus said, "Come all who are weary and laden with burdens for I will give you rest." So be with me God. When home is just too far away, be with me. Grant me rest and peace. For your love overcomes everything else.

No comments: