Monday, April 19, 2010

States of BLISS & Yearning// Tricky Bits in the Bible

John Bell is good. He takes this chapter and tries to help us understand that we can't take the Bible in all parts literally... but we can't also just negate its importance or lay more emphasis on some parts than others. He takes to heart the UCC claim "We take the Bible seriously, not literally." While I struggle with this myself, I will say that as Bells says, Liberal Christians have so often avoided some of the major subjects: miracles, geographical heaven, bodily resurrection of Christ, among others. Again, for me this is both challenging and frustrating. I'd like to think I have a good grasp on my interpretation of the Bible, but I also know I struggle with it. Because I don't take the Bible literally, I must interpret it, but to what extent? I am all about taking passages figuratively and then finding the divine in them: example-- The bodily resurrection of Christ... whether or not it really happened, the concept is important. The idea that death does not have the last word.
==
I suppose that is really my whole view on the Bible-- whether or not it really happened, I can find something important about it that is necessary to my faith and my beliefs. But now that I think about it, it isn't a strong position. Whenever you get a theology degree from a college, they don't talk about this. It isn't as though you take a Biblical Criticism class... I suppose that's save for seminary. I mean, between my experience at Cornerstone and having one of the most amazing mentors ever, I have learned a lot about how to figure out these "tricky bits in the Bible" but I'm not confident in my position yet.
==
Bell gives the example of Desmond Tutu and others who protested against the government. It says clearly in Pauline writings that we are to submit to authority.. so then, what do we do about this? Well, Bell suggests three things. The first is that perhaps God is telling us something we don't want to hear... (not the case for this instance). The second option is that we must disagree with it... or at least debate it. "One of the most disrespectful things we can do with it is swallow it hook, like, and sinker" (48). I mean, if we didn't do this, women would still be in the same oppressive situation they were in for centuries. But thank God they disagreed!
The third option is to refer the word of God to the Word of God. His example is that when Paul says to submit to authority, Jesus questioned authority. "...it was the word of Jesus that shed light on the words of Paul" (51).
==
Scripture can be awkward... and confusing... and frustrating. BUT John Bell ends the chapter with these words that are just so perfect for this:
"Whatever the situation, be assured that God allows us to converse, to argue, even to disagree with the word. Because God calls us into a dynamic not a static relationship with him. And in a dynamic relationship sometimes there are moments of supreme and absolute agreement. And sometimes there are moments of misunderstanding and argument. These are signs that the relationship is alive and not dead. These are signs that it is grounded in love" (51).
==
We must take the Bible seriously, though not literally. Conservative Christians must realize that it is ok to disagree and debate for that is what brings the relationship to life. Liberal Christians must realize that there is stuff in the Bible they just don't want to hear, and that's when (most of the time) they take it for lesser value. Nothing in the Bible is less important than anything else in the Bible. It is that which grounds us in Christ and allows us to lean on God. The Bible was written by living, breathing humans anyway. While it is the word of God, there is also the Word of God and that distinction is important to make too. I think we give Paul too much room... although he has some amazing stuff to say, he was human too. We are human, ordained by God for our various tasks, and we make mistakes. So what's the difference?
==
God has a lot to tell us about our history, our current lives and our future in scripture. It's time we take it seriously... not lightly.

No comments: