Saturday, March 13, 2010

+Lent2010: Suburbs+

"Complaint is only possible when living in the suburbs of God." -- Hafiz
.
I love this... not because of what the entire sentences says, but because of the idea of having "suburbs of God." I think complaining is important-- on some level. For some people, it is the only way they know how to have conversation. But for others (and I think for most) it is a way to release tension and vent... we all need to vent once in a while because we can't build things up and internalize them. I tried giving up complaining for Lent a couple years back. Leah told me it wasn't a good idea for the reason I just stated. And it makes a lot of sense. It is a good rule for some, but not everyone.
.
I mean, sure you can say, "I am a child of God and I follow Christ and so I have nothing to complain about because God made the world and God will work it all out..." Yes, but we are human and we have our own stuff going on that is important to keep track of.
.
Anyway, I don't want to focus on that... I want to talk about suburbs real quick. Suburbs are outlying residential districts of a city... Elmhurst is a Chicago Suburb. It is crammed in between other suburbs, busy, and active. When we are going going going, focusing on solely the temporal, and so close to the city but never getting quite there... we're too caught up in our own thing. we need to get out of the suburbs of God and get into the city. So maybe there are more people, and maybe it is just as busy, but we're not on the outskirts anymore... we're CLOSER... we're in the thick of it.
.
That's where God wants us... in the thick of God. Being closer to God. Being a part of God.

No comments: