Monday, March 1, 2010

+Lent2010: Growth+

M. Scott Peck, 20th century
The truth is that our finest moments are most likely to occur when we are feeling deeply uncomfortable, unhappy, or unfulfilled. For it is only in such moments, propelled by our discomfort, that we are likely to step out of our ruts and start searching for different ways or truer answers.
.
I sat with a scholar of mine when I was at Pittsburgh Theological Seminary for the Summer Youth Institute and discussed her feelings about having to speak in front of the rest of the group. She's outgoing, funny, and well-loved. Her problem wasn't speaking... her problem was being vulnerable. She was going to reveal part of her dark past to 30 people she had met less than two weeks ago. They didn't feel like strangers anymore... but they were.
I had told her twice that good stuff can come from an awkward situation. She didn't like that the first time around... the second time she just brushed it off.
But then there was the time in the bathroom. We met up coincidentally in the bathroom and she said something about it again. I said plainly: "Growth comes from discomfort, you know." She finally got it. A light bulb went off; she had a revelation. It made sense. She finally realized she could grow from this position of vulnerability.
.
As most, I am very bad at taking my own advice. Most of the time they say that when you preach, you're preaching to yourself first... this is more than likely always true for me. It's hard to accept. I can preach it and give that advice, but I don't always follow it. But Dr. Peck (and I :]) are right. It is only in those moments of discomfort when we go where we have never gone before; when we reach for something we never thought was attainable; when we search for answers we once thought weren't worth searching for. It is when we push ourselves we realize that something is possible... even if that possibility is still a failure, we will have learned from it. That's what is important.
.
The other day I lost my pin off my bag that said: "Do one thing everyday that scares you.-- Eleanor Roosevelt" I loved that pin... and I love the quote. It is something I embraced in New Zealand... but have yet to figure out here at home. I'm still adjusting in a sense. Either way, it's a good motto to live by.

No comments: